We have given a traditional spaghetti bolognese with vegan treatment and added a lemon zest gremolata to boot.
The ingredient of Vegan bolognese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 stick of celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 200g Swiss brown mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1cm pieces
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 400g of diced tomatoes
- 250 ml (1 cup) Massel vegetable liquid stock
- 2 teaspoons Italian herbs-dried
- 3 teaspoons of balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of maple syrup
- 400g can brown lentils, drained, rinsed
- Cooked spaghetti, to serve, to yyy - Finely grated vegan cheese, to serve (optional)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh continental persil
- 1 lemon, finely grated zest
- Small pinch of dried chilli flakes, the taste
The instruction how to make Vegan bolognese
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the onion, carrot and celery and cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until soft and slightly coloured. Add the garlic and stir for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add the mushrooms and eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add the tomato paste and stir to coat. Stir in tomatoes, broth and herbs. Cover and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in the balsamic vinegar and the maple syrup. Add the lentils and stir until warm. Season.
- To make the gremolata, mix the persil, lemon zest and chilli flakes in a small bowl.
- Serve spaghetti sauce, sprinkled with the gremolata and vegan cheese, if you wish.
Nutritions of Vegan bolognesefatContent: